Thursday, October 4, 2012

Shelley's Chicken Enchiladas - No Canned Soup

These are the BEST chicken enchiladas I have EVER eaten.  I am talking restaurant quality!  I have never been a fan of the popular chicken enchilada recipe that uses cream of chicken soup and sour cream.  Too much creaminess in each bite and not enough texture to cancel it out and because of that, I rarely get to eat chicken enchiladas.

Now that I have this amazing recipe, I will be eating chicken enchiladas A LOT!
They are easy to make and come together pretty quick.  I served mine with a side of Mexican Rice and I was one happy girl!
Shelley's Chicken Enchiladas
adapted from: Shelley C.
(Printable Recipe) or (Printable with Picture)

3 Tbl. unsalted butter
3 Tbl. flour
1 (14.5 oz.) can low-sodium chicken broth
1 c. sour cream
1/4 - 1/2 c. green salsa, depending on how spicy you want it
    or 1 (4 oz.) can diced green chiles
1 rotisserie chicken, shredded
    or season a few chicken breasts with taco seasoning
    and bake until done, then shred
2-3 c. Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
8-10 corn or flour tortillas
chopped cilantro, opt.

For the enchilada sauce: melt butter over medium heat in a large skillet.  Whisk in the flour, one Tablespoon at a time, to prevent lumps from forming.  Cook a minute or two to cook off the flour taste, stirring occasionally.  Gradually whisk in the chicken broth and whisk until smooth.  Continue cooking until thickened, about 5-10 minutes, stirring occasionally.  Once it reaches desired thickness, remove from heat and stir in the sour cream and green salsa; set aside.  Heat tortillas for 10-15 seconds in the microwave until pliable.  Divide shredded chicken between tortillas, top each with a little bit of cheese and cilantro.  Roll up and place seam-side down in a 9x13-inch  pan.  Cover with the enchilada sauce and top with remaining cheese.  Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes or until bubbly.  Broil for a minute or two at the end if you want the cheese to brown.  Yield: 4-5 servings.    

Jenn's Notes: I cooked two Costco chicken breasts that I seasoned with taco seasoning and I had enough chicken for 6 enchiladas.  I used 1/2 cup of green salsa in the sauce and I made half with corn tortillas and half with flour tortillas. These were way good and I plan to make them a lot.    

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

that give mcdonalds coupons and 
breakfast coupons you also can find recipe from