Friday, December 23, 2011

Honeybun Cake

My mom gave me this recipe quite awhile ago and I put it aside and didn't think much about it.  After she had given it to me, I remember her talking about it several times and that she was making it AGAIN.  I didn't understand why they liked it so much, because it didn't sound that special to me.  Then, one afternoon, we were over at her house having lunch or a BBQ or something?  I honestly don't even remember what we were eating?  However, she had this Honeybun Cake for dessert.  I remember tasting it and I think my jaw might have dropped to the floor?  OMG - WHY DIDN'T YOU TELL ME THIS CAKE WAS SO GOOD????  

Now, I love anything with cinnamon.  I love cinnamon so much that I buy it in the bulk section!  This cake reminds me of a CINNAMON ROLL, but in cake form.  You have a super moist cake, swirled with cinnamon and sugar and a gooey glaze on top!  It is amazing warm, right out of the oven and it is amazing at room temperature. 

When I make this for myself, I cut the recipe in half.  That is when my kitchen scale comes in handy.  I just measure my cake mix, use half and save the other half for next time I am craving this cake.  Turns out perfect every time!   

Everyone that I have made this for has declared it one of their new favorites! You should make this for your family on Christmas or on Christmas Eve for a warm bedtime snack! 
Honeybun Cake
adapted from: Sharon H. 

1 yellow cake mix
4 eggs
1 c. sour cream
3/4 c. vegetable oil
1 c. light brown sugar
2 tsp. cinnamon
2 c. powdered sugar
1-2 Tbl. milk
1-2 tsp. vanilla

Combine cake mix, eggs, sour cream and oil until well blended; set aside.  Combine brown sugar and cinnamon in a separate bowl.  Spread half of the cake batter into a 9x13 cake pan.  Sprinkle with half of the brown sugar and cinnamon, covering the entire cake.  Spread the rest of the cake batter over layer and top with remaining sugar and cinnamon.  Use a knife and swirl the batter.  Bake at 325 degrees for 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.  Make the glaze: combine powdered sugar, milk and vanilla until smooth and pour over the hot cake right when it comes out of the oven.  Let set.  Serve warm or at room temperature.  You could add 1/3 cup of chopped pecans to the brown sugar and cinnamon mixture if you would like.  

Jenn's Notes: This cake is one of my favorites.  I prefer it the day it is made, but it still tastes pretty good the next day too.  I am a huge vanilla person, so I add 2 tsp. to the glaze, but feel free to add only 1 tsp.   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

that give mcdonalds coupons and 
breakfast coupons you also can find recipe from