Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Cinnamon Swirl Pumpkin Bread with Cinnamon Glaze

I was checking my emails as usual, when I saw one from Sally's Baking Addiction.  It was a new post for Cinnamon Swirl Banana Bread.  I was reading through the post when I came across this sentence, 

"Today's bread is unreal.  It's like biting into a huge cinnamon bun but better"

Say what?

Next thing I knew, I was pulling this bread out of the oven.  

I used pumpkin instead of banana.  I would have never thought to do that if it wasn't for one of my lovely readers who told me she made my Favorite Pumpkin Cake recipe, but used bananas instead of pumpkin and she said her husband declared it the best he has ever had.   

So, if that worked for her, why couldn't I do the opposite and use pumpkin instead of bananas?
It turned out FABULOUS.  This bread is delicious and the good news is that it gets better and better as the days go bye.  I wouldn't go as far as to say it is better than biting into a cinnamon bun, but that is just my opinion as I happen to be a HUGE cinnamon bun lover.  I would definitely make it again and it was a nice change from my usual pumpkin chocolate chip bread.  FYI - The glaze does eventually soak into the bread.    
Cinnamon Swirl Pumpkin Bread
2 c. wheat flour (I did 1 cup white 1 cup wheat)
3/4 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 c. light brown sugar
4 Tbl. (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, softened
2 large eggs
1 1/2 c. canned pumpkin puree
1/3 c. Greek yogurt (I used sour cream)
1 tsp. vanilla extract

Cinnamon Swirl
1/4 c. sugar
1 tsp. cinnamon

Simple Glaze
1/2 c. powdered sugar
1/2 - 1 Tbl. milk
1/2 tsp. cinnamon, opt.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Combine flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon; set aside.  In a separate bowl combine brown sugar and butter and beat until fluffy.  Add eggs, one at a time, beating after each.  Add the pumpkin puree, yogurt and vanilla and mix until well blended.  Add the dry ingredients and mix until just combined.  Do not overmix.  Batter will be very thick.  Spoon half the batter into a greased 9x5 inch loaf pan.  Sprinkle with the cinnamon and sugar.  Top with remaining batter and carefully spread out evenly.  Bake for 50-55 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.  Cool in pan 15 minutes.  Remove from pan and cool completely on wire rack.  While the bread is cooling, make the glaze.  In a small bowl, stir together the powdered sugar, 1/2 Tablespoon milk and cinnamon.  Add more milk if needed to reach desired thickness.  Drizzle over cooled pumpkin bread.    

Jenn's Notes: I am a huge fan of using non-fat yogurt in place of sour cream in baked goods.  Since, I had to make this recipe as soon as I saw it, I ended up using sour cream as that was all I had, but I know it would be great with the yogurt too. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

that give mcdonalds coupons and 
breakfast coupons you also can find recipe from