Saturday, June 2, 2012

Red, White and Blue Old Fashioned Sugar Cookies

Since I am always a procrastinator when it comes to posting Holiday Themed treats, I figured I would get a jump start on the next one.  The Fourth of July is only a month away! Can you believe it is already June?

We went to a BBQ the other day and I wanted to bring something red, white and blue and since I love anything and everything slathered in frosting, I went with sugar cookies!  I have made this recipe twice now and I am still not sure what makes them Old-Fashioned.  They are big and soft,  yet chewy at the same time.  By the way, does anyone know the secret to getting something to actually turn red and not pink?       

If you don't feel like trying this old fashioned version, here are a few other yummy sugar cookie recipes Kneader's Sugar CookiesNo Roll Sugar Cookies and Soft Cookies with Pink Icing.
My original plan was to pipe the frosting onto each cookie, so my stripes would be straight and look clean, but I decided I wanted to try a regular old butter knife,  that way anybody could make these without needing any fancy equipment.  I think they turned out okay, they look homemade, right?  I used glitter crystal sprinkles for the "stars" on the flag, which was a nice finishing touch.  They were super easy and the taste delicious!   
Old Fashioned Sugar Cookies
1/2 c. unsalted butter
1 c. sugar
2 large eggs
1 tsp. vanilla extract
3 c. all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. cream of tartar
1/2 c. evaporated milk or whipping cream

Cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy.  Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each.  Mix in the vanilla.  Sift together the flour, salt, baking soda and cream of tartar.  Add dry ingredients alternately with milk/cream and mix well.  Chill dough for three hours or overnight.  Roll out to 1/4''-1/2'' thick.  Cut into desired shapes and place on a parchment lined cookie sheet.  Bake at 350 degrees for 8-10 minutes (mine took 12).  Cookies will not brown, but the top should spring back when lightly pressed when they are done.  

Jenn's Notes: My first batch, using whipping cream, I baked until the top kind of sprung back when lightly touched and that took 12 minutes.  The 2nd batch, using evaporated milk, I baked them 12 minutes and they were slightly underdone, so I must have rolled them thicker than the first time.  So, you'll just have to do the best you can to tell when they are done.  I made all kinds of shapes and sizes and I think I got around 30 cookies or so.    


Vanilla Frosting
from: Jenn@eatcakefordinner
1 c. unsalted butter, softened
2 oz. cream cheese, softened, opt.
pinch of salt
2 tsp. vanilla extract
3 c. powdered sugar
2-3 Tbl. heavy cream or milk


Cream together butter and cream cheese until smooth.  Add the salt and vanilla and mix to combine.  Gradually add the powdered sugar, one cup at a time, adding cream/milk as needed.  Beat until smooth and fluffy.  Divide between three bowls and color one blue, one red and leave one white.  Frost cookies.      

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

that give mcdonalds coupons and 
breakfast coupons you also can find recipe from