Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Maple Texas Sheet Cake

Since Grammy's Sheet Cake is the most requested dessert in my house right now and has been for the last few months, I figured I would venture into trying other sheet cake recipes.  The blog where I found this one says it tastes like a maple bar and I love the flavor of maple bars.  

It turned out so moist and light and the texture is perfect.  I added chopped pecans to half and left the other half plain and I MUCH prefer it with the pecans.  It seemed pretty sweet to me without the pecans, so I highly recommend adding them to help cut all the sweetness.

If you have maple lovers in your family, I think this cake would be a hit.
Maple Texas Sheet Cake
adapted from: Singing with Birds 

3/4 c. butter
1 c. water
1 1/2 c. sugar
2 c. all-purpose flour
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking soda
2 eggs
1/2 c. sour cream
1 1/2 tsp. maple extract

Icing:
1 c. butter
6 Tbl. evaporated milk
4 1/2 c. powdered sugar
1/2 - 1 tsp. maple extract, to taste
1/8 tsp. salt
1 c. chopped pecans or walnuts

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  Melt butter and water in a large saucepan over medium-low heat until butter is melted.  Remove from heat and stir in the sugar, flour, salt and baking soda.  Stir with a wire whisk until smooth. Add eggs, sour cream and maple extract and stir until blended.  Pour the batter into a well greased 11''x17'' sheet pan.  Bake for 18-20 minutes or until the cake springs back when lightly touched or a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.  Remove cake from oven and allow to cool slightly while you make the icing.  Put the butter and milk into a medium saucepan.  Heat until butter is melted and bring to a simmer.  Remove from heat and stir in the powdered sugar, maple extract and salt.  Whisk until completely smooth.  Spread over cake and top with chopped nuts.

Jenn's Notes:  I used a lot less maple extract than the recipe called for, because I didn't want it to be overpowering and instead just wanted a light maple flavor.  I added 1/2 tsp. maple and 1 tsp. vanilla to the cake and I added 1/2 tsp. maple and 1/2 tsp. vanilla to the icing.  I let my cake cool completely before I added the icing.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

that give mcdonalds coupons and 
breakfast coupons you also can find recipe from