Saturday, February 23, 2013

South of the Border Mexican Rice

If you guys like the type of Mexican rice that is "dry", then you will really enjoy this recipe.  My Father-In-Law made some delicious Mexican rice a few months ago that was more dry and crumbly than sticky and wet.  He said it was a pretty involved recipe and I know he used jasmine rice.  I wanted to find a similar recipe, but that was much easier and used ingredients I always have on hand.  

That is where this recipe comes in and it turned out great.  I think it tastes yummy "as is", but I also think it is a great base recipe to add whatever you like, such as some chopped bell pepper and onion or maybe some diced tomatoes and Feta.

Serve as a side dish or inside some burritos or taco salad.  Delicious.
South of the Border Mexican Rice
2 Tbl. olive oil
2 c. long-grain white rice, uncooked
1 c. salsa or tomato sauce
1 tsp. garlic, minced
1 tsp. chili powder
1 tsp. ground cumin
salt and pepper, to taste
4 c. water

In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium heat.  Add the rice; cook and stir until lightly golden.  Stir in the remaining ingredients; reduce heat to low.  Cover and cook for about 20 minutes or until rice is done.  Serves: 8

Jenn's Notes:  I made half a batch and I think it could easily serve 4 people.  I used homemade salsa instead of tomato sauce and it turned out fabulous.  I even used the leftovers for taco salads later in the week and it still tasted great.

adapted from: Gooseberry Patch's Weeknight Dinners, submitted by Nichole Martelli, as seen on A Well Seasoned Life

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

that give mcdonalds coupons and 
breakfast coupons you also can find recipe from