Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Copycat Cafe Rio Shredded Beef Tacos

It's 2013!  
The year 2012 seemed to fly bye, yet when I think of certain things that happened throughout the year, they seem so long ago.  I have a good feeling 2013 is going to be an amazing year.

*First things first, I have a few housekeeping items to get out of the way* 
I finally signed up for Google+.  If anyone has any tips with how to use it, I'd love to hear them.  

Next, you asked and I listened.  I kept getting requests to add a "pin it" button to my posts and I finally did it.  I added the button to each of my pictures.  If you find it isn't working properly, please let me know.

Now, onto the good stuff!
If I order a taco at Cafe Rio, I get their Shredded Beef and I always order a side of the house dressing.  I have seen (and tried) so many copycat Cafe Rio recipes, but this was the first time I had seen a copycat recipe for their shredded beef.  

The flavor was delicious.  My only problem was I either undercooked my roast or overcooked my roast, because I wasn't able to shred it.  It was still juicy, it just didn't fall apart like usual when I cook a roast.  I blame it on my slow-cooker.  I ended up cutting it into strips (like their steak).

When topped with the copycat dressing, it tasted pretty darn close to the real thing.  I just need to figure out how to cook my roast properly and I think this will become a new favorite. 

Next on my list to try is a Copycat Cafe Rio Rice Recipe.  Anyone tried one and liked it?      

You might also like:
Cafe Rio Type Salads
Copycat Cafe Rio Shredded Beef Tacos
1 small onion
2 lbs. boneless beef chuck roast
1 c. low-sodium beef broth
1 Tbl. ground cumin + extra to taste
3-5 garlic cloves, minced
1 (8 oz.) can tomato sauce
1 (14 oz.) can green enchilada sauce
1-2 Tbl. tomato paste
salt, to taste

For serving:
tomatillo dressing, see recipe below
soft corn or flour tortillas
black or pinto beans
spanish rice
diced tomato
salsa
chopped cilantro
Feta cheese
Monterey or Cheddar cheese, shredded
avocado 

Cut the onion into large, chunky slices; place on the bottom of slow-cooker.  Place the roast on top of the onions.  Combine broth, 1 Tablespoon cumin, garlic and tomato sauce; pour over the top of the roast.  Cover and cook on LOW for 6-8 hours.  Transfer meat to a cutting board; use two forks to shred the beef.  Strain the juices from the slow-cooker, reserving the juice.  Transfer shredded meat back to the slow-cooker and pour some of the strained juices over the shredded beef (as much as you prefer).  Stir in the enchilada sauce and tomato paste (I added one Tablespoon).  Season with salt and extra cumin, to taste.  Serve in taco shells with desired toppings.  Serves: 8  

Tomatillo Dressing
1/2 (1 oz.) pkg. Hidden Valley Ranch mix
1/2 c. buttermilk
1/2 c. mayonnaise (I used light)
2 medium tomatillos, husks removed and rinsed well
1/2 - 1 garlic clove, to taste
1/2 small bunch cilantro
juice of 1/2 a lime
1/2 small jalapeno, seeds removed

Put all dressing ingredients in a blender or food processor.  Blend until smooth and creamy.  Taste and adjust any flavors as needed.  Refrigerate until ready to use.  Yield: about 2 cups

Jenn's Notes:  I wouldn't change anything with the above ingredients and measurements.  I loved the flavor of the beef and the tomatillo dressing.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

that give mcdonalds coupons and 
breakfast coupons you also can find recipe from