Sunday, January 6, 2013

Almond Poppy Seed Bread with Orange Glaze

We love this bread!  It has one of my favorite flavor combos - orange and almond.  All you have to do is mention a recipe with orange and almond in it and I will make it!  Do you have any :)  I've had this recipe forever and I'm pretty sure everyone has their own version of it.  I have no idea where it originated from, but I would love to find out if anyone knows?  

This time, I decided to try some applesauce in place of the oil, you know, to be healthier for the new year.  It turned out amazing.  I think I even like it better that way.  It is still soft and moist and stays that way for several days.  I will be making it this way from now on.
Almond Poppy Seed Bread with Orange Glaze
3 eggs
1 c. + 2 Tbl. vegetable oil
   (or half applesauce and half oil)
2 1/2 c. sugar
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 1/2 tsp. almond extract
1 1/2 tsp. butter flavoring
3 c. flour
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 1/2 c. milk
2 Tbl. poppy seeds

Glaze:
1 - 1 1/2 c. powdered sugar
a few Tbl. fresh orange juice
grated zest of one orange, opt.
1/2 tsp. almond extract
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract

Beat eggs, oil and sugar until well blended.  Add the vanilla extract, almond extract and butter flavoring.  In a separate bowl, combine the flour, salt and baking powder.  Add flour mixture alternately with the milk to the batter and mix until just combined.  Stir in the poppy seeds.  Divide batter evenly between two, well-greased, 9x5-inch loaf pans.  Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.  Allow bread to cool in pan for 5-10 minutes, then invert to wire rack and cool completely.  Combine all glaze ingredients, adding enough orange juice to reach desired consistency.  You can either drizzle over the loaves while the bread is still warm or allow the bread to cool and add the glaze.  Yield: 2 loaves.  

Jenn's Notes: For the oil, I use 1/2 cup of applesauce and 1/2 cup + 2 Tbl. of oil and I prefer it that way.  My loaf usually takes 1 hour and 10 minutes or so to bake.  I like to add my glaze when the bread is completely cool, that way, it stays on top as a glaze and doesn't just get absorbed into the bread.     

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

that give mcdonalds coupons and 
breakfast coupons you also can find recipe from