Sunday, April 22, 2012

Rocky Road Brownies

This brownie recipe was one of the first recipes that got me into baking (5 or 6 years ago).  One of my co-workers, Liz, would make these every once in a while and bring them to work for us to munch on.  They were one of the best brownies I had ever eaten.  I was used to store-bought brownies and box mix brownies and had never tried a "from scratch" version.  I was so impressed that a young woman (like myself at the time) could create such a yummy treat.  I was used to Mom's and Grandma's making treats, not young women.  I guess you could say that's what started it all - my foodie obsession!

I started making these weekly, then monthly, then here and there.  Eventually, I kind of forgot about them and moved onto other recipes.  Well, at work the other day, the same day I had chili cheese potatoes, I also had a marshmallow brownie for dessert.  It was chewy, gooey, very rich and was topped with a creamy frosting. 

I just couldn't get over how good they were and I had to find out who made them and get the recipe.  I got the recipe and couldn't wait to make them as soon as I got home.  I decided to check the recipe to Liz's.  It was the exact same recipe, no wonder I LOVED these brownies so much.  I hadn't made them for a few years and had forgotten what was in them.  It reminded me how much I loved them.  The only difference was Liz makes homemade frosting and the ones from work had store-bought frosting.  Whichever you prefer, they will be AMAZING.

If you have never tried a brownie recipe from scratch, let this be the first one.  You never know what/who might come from it! 
Rocky Road Brownies
adapted from: Liz M.
(Printable Recipe)

1 c. melted butter
2 c. sugar
1/3 c. cocoa powder
1 1/2 c. all-purpose flour
2 tsp. vanilla        
1 tsp. salt
4 eggs
chopped walnuts or pecans, opt.
1 (10 oz.) bag mini marshmallows

Icing:
1/2 c. butter, softened
1/4 c. cocoa powder
1/4 c. evaporated milk, more or less
1 tsp. vanilla
3 c. powdered sugar

or

1 container store-bought milk chocolate frosting

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Combine melted butter, sugar and cocoa powder.  Add flour, vanilla, salt, eggs and nuts.  Whisk together until completely smooth and well combined.  You can either use a hand mixer or a whisk for this.  Pour into a lightly greased 9x13 pan and bake for 25 minutes.  Remove from oven and top with the marshmallows.  Return to oven and bake for 5 minutes or until marshmallows are puffed up.  Allow to cool and then  spread homemade icing or store-bought frosting over the top.  To make the icing:  Using a hand mixer, beat butter until fluffy.  Add the cocoa powder and vanilla and mix until well combined.  Gradually add the powdered sugar and mix until smooth and creamy, adding evaporated milk as you go to reach desired consistency.       

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

that give mcdonalds coupons and 
breakfast coupons you also can find recipe from