Thursday, April 5, 2012

Mom's Macaroni Salad

I am so NOT a pasta salad person, except for THIS pasta salad (and one other one).  I can easily pass by them at any lunch or barbeque without thinking twice.  I don't know why, but they have never been my thing.

However, this macaroni salad is my FAVORITE.  I grew up eating it and I still look forward to the few times a year when my Mom makes it.  She makes it on Easter and any other time we barbeque.   

I decided that I needed to learn how to make it.  Of course she has the recipe memorized and doesn't need to measure anything, but I made her sit down and write me a recipe with measurements.    

I tried it last Sunday and it turned out very yummy,  just like Mom's.  This was the first and only pasta salad I have ever made.  So, that's good news for you guys, because you can make this and have it turn out great on your first attempt.  If you are still looking for that perfect salad to take to Easter dinner, this one is a great choice.    
Mom's Macaroni Salad
from: Sharon H.
(Printable Recipe)

1 (16 oz.) pkg. salad roni (Ditalini)(about 3 cups)
1-2 cans tiny shrimp, rinsed and drained
3/4 - 1 c. celery, chopped
1/2 c. onion, finely chopped, opt.
    or scant 1/4 c. dried onions that have been hydrated in water
4 boiled eggs, peeled and chopped

Dressing:
2 c. Miracle Whip
2 tsp. sugar
1 Tbl. lemon juice
1 tsp. yellow mustard

Cook noodles according to package directions.  When done, drain and rinse.  (Rinsing them will help prevent the noodles from sticking together in clumps).  Allow to cool and dry completely.  Meanwhile, combine dressing ingredients.  Taste and adjust, if needed.  When noodles are cool and dry, add the tiny shrimp, celery, onion and chopped eggs.  Add the dressing and fold together until everything is completely coated.  Refrigerate until ready to serve.  Sprinkle with paprika before serving.    

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

that give mcdonalds coupons and 
breakfast coupons you also can find recipe from