Thursday, April 12, 2012

Grammy's White Sheet Cake

My mom made this cake for Easter.  We all ate a piece after lunch, plus I took four pieces home that night.  The next day, when I came home from work, all four pieces were gone.  What?  No one even saved me a piece? 
So, I did what any other person would have done. . . I got out the ingredients and made my own cake.  It is so easy to whip up, because you don't even have to get out the mixer.  

You must make this cake.

Then, you must hide it from everyone in your house, because it will disappear if you blink an eye.
  It is so tender and it melts in your mouth, it's buttery, it's extremely moist and it has a delicious rich frosting on top! I love rich desserts and this one hit the spot!  It tasted good with some fresh fruit, but honestly it is perfect served on its own.  

By the way, I made this on Monday night (a half a batch) and it is already GONE.  Not even a crumb is left and I am being begged to make it AGAIN! 


*Update 4/29/12 - I have already made this cake three times since Easter (4/08/12).  It is a family favorite and the only dessert anyone requests lately!*
Grammy's White Sheet Cake
adapted from: Frieda Loves Bread
(Printable Recipe)

1 c. butter
1 c. water
2 c. sugar
2 1/4 c. all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking soda
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 c. sour cream


Frosting:
1 c. butter
6 Tbl. evaporated milk
4 1/2 c. powdered sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
1/8 tsp. salt
1 c. chopped pecans, opt.

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  Melt butter and water in a large saucepan over medium-low heat until butter is melted.  Remove from heat and stir in the sugar, flour, salt and baking soda.  Stir with a wire whisk until smooth. Add eggs and vanilla.  Stir in the sour cream and mix until blended.  Pour the batter into a well greased 11''x17'' sheet pan.  Bake for 20-25 minutes or until the cake springs back when lightly touched or a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.  Remove cake from oven and allow to cool slightly while you make the frosting.  Put the butter and milk into a medium saucepan.  Heat until butter is melted and bring to a simmer.  Remove from heat and stir in the powdered sugar, vanilla and a dash of salt.  Whisk until completely smooth.  Add nuts (if desired) and spread over cake.  

Jenn's Notes: I love this cake.  I tried it with non-fat plain yogurt instead of the sour cream and it was not as rich as it is with the sour cream, but it was just as moist.  By the time I added my frosting, my cake was completely cool.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

that give mcdonalds coupons and 
breakfast coupons you also can find recipe from