Tuesday, May 14, 2013

OREO Chocolate Chip Cookies aka The Cookies that Broke my Oven

The cookies that broke my oven . . . make these at your own risk :)

Story Time

"The Mr." wanted some OREO stuffed chocolate chip cookies.  He doesn't request things much, so I happily obliged to make him some cookies.  I tried a few where I baked a whole OREO cookie inside the chocolate chip cookie, but they were monsters.  I decided it was a much better idea to chop up the OREOS and mix them into the dough and that did work much better . . .
except . . .

There I was, staring at my cookies through the oven window, trying to decide if they were done.  All of the sudden I heard a loud POP and I saw a big red spark fly out of the back of the oven and then all of the lights in the house turned off and it was silent.  No power to anything.  

What the *#@%

That is when a few choice words may or may not have come out of my mouth. 

I hurried and looked behind the oven, afraid it was going to start on fire.  Why would a big spark fly out of it? 

I called Mr. fix-it (My Dad), but he was at a camoflauge wedding (for real - Mama June style), so I had to wait for him to get done to come check it out.  Do you realize how much we rely on power.  EVERYTHING USES POWER.  Hello.  
We were able to restore power to the rest of the house, but not the range.  The control panel to my range was fried.  Literally, look at it, it is BLACK and no chance of saving it.  The new part is $150 and I have to wait a whole week for it to get here.  Can you believe my kitchen will be closed for a week.  Suddenly, I have a million things I want to bake.

What am I going to eat?  This foodie cannot survive on cold cereal.    
Thankfully, I did manage to get a few cookies out if it, before it blew up and they tasted really good.  I used Birthday Cake OREOS and the flavor was so good mixed with a chocolate chip cookie.  Plus, it gave the cookies pretty colorful speckles.

I can't tell you how many cookies you will get out of a batch of this dough, since I made some stuffed, a dozen regular and I sent the rest of the dough home with my SIL.

At least "The Mr." requested these cookies, so I can blame my oven problem on him :) 
OREO Chocolate Chip Cookies
1 c. (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
3/4 c. light brown sugar
1 c. sugar
2 eggs
1 Tbl. vanilla extract
1 tsp. kosher salt (or 1/2 tsp. table salt)
1 tsp. baking soda
3 1/2 c. all-purpose flour
1/2 - 1 bag chocolate chips
20 OREOS, roughly chopped

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Cream together butter and both sugars until well combined.  Mix in the eggs and the vanilla extract.  Add the kosher salt and baking soda.  Then, gradually add the flour and mix until blended.  Stir in the chocolate chips and chopped OREO cookies.  Roll dough into Tablespoon size balls and bake in preheated oven for 8-9 minutes.    

Jenn's Notes: My dough was pretty dry and wouldn't quite come together, so I added around 1 teaspoon of half-and-half and it came together and baked up perfectly.  If you have the same problem, you could add a little water, milk or cream.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

that give mcdonalds coupons and 
breakfast coupons you also can find recipe from