Monday, May 7, 2012

Quick Chicken Fricassee

This recipe is similar to my favorite pork chop recipe (I will post someday) that I make all of the time, so I knew I would like it and I did like it.  The chicken was sooooo juicy!  

But hey, I learned something new!  Leave it to Cook's Country to teach me something new.

The sauce that I use for my pork chops always seems to be just a little separated, like it never fully mixes together properly, but I never cared, because it still tastes delicious! 

As I was watching Cook's Country, they explained that in order to combine the sauce properly, we need an emulsifier (an egg yolk) to help keep the fat (sour cream) and water blended together.  It worked perfectly and resulted in a very creamy sauce.  I cannot wait to try out that little trick with my pork chops recipe.
Quick Chicken Fricassee
2 Lbs. boneless, skinless chicken breasts
salt and pepper
1 Tbl. unsalted butter
1 Tbl. olive oil
1 Lb. mushrooms, washed and sliced or chopped
1 onion, chopped fine
1/4 c. dry white wine (I used chicken broth)
1 Tbl. all-purpose flour
1 garlic clove, minced
1 1/2 c. low-sodium chicken broth
1/3 c. sour cream
1 large egg yolk
1/2 tsp. freshly grated nutmeg
2 tsp. lemon juice
2 tsp. minced fresh tarragon or parsley

Pat dry chicken with paper towels and season with 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper.  Heat butter and oil in 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat until butter is melted.  Place chicken in skillet and cook until browned, about 4 minutes.  Using tongs, flip chicken and cook until browned on second side, about 4 minutes longer.  Transfer chicken to a large plate.  Add mushrooms, onions and wine to now-empty skillet and cook, stirring occasionally, until liquid has evaporated and mushrooms are browned, 8-10 minutes.  Add flour and garlic; cook, stirring constantly, 1 minute.  Add broth and bring mixture to boil, scraping up browned bits from bottom of pan. Add chicken and accumulated juices to skillet.

Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until breasts register 160 degrees, 5-10 minutes.  Transfer chicken to clean platter and tent loosely with aluminum foil.  Whisk sour cream and egg yolk together in medium bowl.  Whisking constantly, slowly stir 1/2 cup hot sauce into sour cream mixture to temper.  Stirring constantly, slowly pour sour cream mixture into simmering sauce.  Stir in nutmeg, lemon juice and tarragon or parsley; return to simmer.  Season with salt and pepper, to taste.  Pour sauce over chicken and serve.

Jenn's Notes: I used one large Costco chicken breast and it was enough for 2 people.  I still made the full sauce recipe, because I am a huge sauce person (as you can tell by my picture).  The chicken was so moist and flavorful.  I used broth instead of wine and parsley instead of tarragon.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

that give mcdonalds coupons and 
breakfast coupons you also can find recipe from