Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Cornmeal Buttermilk Biscuits

Back in the day, my Grandma Parker loved to copy down recipes from T.V.

I don't know if T.V. was different back then, but I am wondering how in the world did she write down all those ingredients so fast?

I tried it the other day and thank goodness for my DVR.  I had to click pause and rewind so many times and there weren't even that many ingredients to write down! 

Luckily I got them all right, because these Corn Biscuits turned out SO GOOD!

They are crisp on the outside and moist on the inside.  The cornmeal is soaked in buttermilk for 10 minutes, so your biscuits don't end up too grainy.  The texture is perfect and the flavor is just right, not to sweet.  They taste like cornbread, but in biscuit form and when drizzled with honey, you might find yourself eating one too many.   
Cornmeal Buttermilk Biscuits 
1 c. cornmeal
1 1/4 c. buttermilk
2 Tbl. honey
2 c. all-purpose flour
1 Tbl. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
1 1/2 sticks (12 Tbl.) unsalted butter, cut into chunks

Whisk together the cornmeal, buttermilk and honey.  Let rest for 10 minutes to soften the cornmeal.  Add the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt to a food processor.  Add the cold cubed butter and pulse until it resembles coarse sand.  If you don't have a food processor you can either use a pastry cutter or your hands to cut in the butter.  Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and fold together using a rubber scraper until no streaks of flour remain.  Lightly flour board.  Knead dough a few times and pat out into a 9'' circle, 3/4'' thick.  Cut out biscuits using a 2 1/2'' cutter.  Transfer biscuits to a parchment paper lined baking sheet.  Bake at 450 degrees for 5 minutes, until they just start to rise.  Lower temperature to 400 degrees and bake for 8-12 minutes or until golden and risen.  Yield: 12 biscuits.

Jenn's Notes: I added extra buttermilk, because the dough seemed a little dry and I ended up with a fairly sticky dough.  I don't know if that is why my biscuits ended up so moist, but that is how I will make them from now on, because I loved them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

that give mcdonalds coupons and 
breakfast coupons you also can find recipe from