Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Crockpot Hot Fudge Cake

WARNING - this cake has lots of sugar in it, it is extremely rich, the fudge sauce is super thick and creamy, it is very chocolaty and when eaten warm with vanilla ice cream, it is VERY VERY ADDICTING.  I couldn't wait any longer to post this cake, because it was DIVINE, to say the least.  This cake is any chocolate lovers dream or dessert lovers dream.  

You have got to make this cake.  If you think it has too much sugar for a weekday snack, save it for the weekend and devour every last warm, ooey, gooey bit of it.  I found this yummy recipe in my new cookbook!  I went to Costco the other day to pick up a copy of a "healthy" cookbook that they had, because I wanted to try eating a little healthier, but to make a long story short, I didn't leave with the "healthy" cookbook, but instead left with this home cooking cookbook and made this hot fudge cake.  Oh yeah, it was so worth it!    

**Update - I was craving this cake, but didn't want to wait 2 hours for it to cook in the crockpot, so I cut the recipe in half and baked it in the oven.  It turned out perfect!! So, it works when you cut it in half and it works in the oven.  I baked it for around 35 minutes at 350 degrees.

Crockpot Hot Fudge Cake
adapted from: Big Book of Home Cooking   

1 c. all-purpose flour
1 3/4 c. light brown sugar, packed and divided
1/4 c. plus 3 Tbl. baking cocoa, divided
2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 c. milk
2 Tbl. butter, melted
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 3/4 c. hot water
vanilla ice cream

Combine flour, one cup brown sugar, 3 Tablespoons cocoa, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl.  Whisk in milk, butter and vanilla.  Spread evenly in a 3 1/2-quart crockpot.  Mix together remaining 3/4 cup brown sugar and 1/4 cup cocoa; sprinkle evenly over top of batter.  Pour in hot water; DO NOT STIR.  Cover and cook on high setting for 2 hours, or until a toothpick inserted one-inch deep comes out clean.  Spoon warm cake into bowls; top with vanilla ice cream.  Serves 4-6.  

 **Update - I have had several people comment that they did not like this cake.  That just goes to show that everyone has different tastes.  I personally really like this recipe and I have made it several times.  I always serve it warm with ice cream on top.  You must serve this with ice cream.  The cake part does NOT taste like regular cake.  If that is what you are wanting, then do not make this.  Instead it is dense and has more of a gooey texture.**  
        
Jenn's Notes:  When it says do not stir - DO NOT STIR.  It will mess things up - trust me I have tried it before.  Something magic happens when this cooks.  The cake part rises to the top and the water sinks to the bottom forming this amazing thick and creamy fudge sauce.  I used a 2-quart crockpot and it was full to the top, but it worked.  It was perfect at 2 hours.  I served mine with low-fat vanilla ice cream, but you could try any flavor - mint chocolate chip, peppermint, pumpkin, coffee, vanilla bean or anything else that works with chocolate.  I really loved this cake!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

that give mcdonalds coupons and 
breakfast coupons you also can find recipe from