Friday, November 30, 2012

Grandma Parker's Southern Cream Cookies

Do you remember my story about the recipe box my Grandpa gave me that belonged to my Grandma?  You can click here to read about it, if you are interested.  I found this recipe in that box.  As I was flipping through all the recipes, the name of these cookies quickly caught my attention, because come on, anything with the word "cream" in it has got to be good.  

They reminded me of a cross between a snickerdoodle and a soft sugar cookie.  They are so soft and yummy.

If you like the butter flavor that snickerdoodles have, you may want to use butter flavored shortening instead of regular.  The only thing I did differently was I added a little cinnamon to the cookie dough and I made a little extra cinnamon/sugar mixture for rolling the dough balls in.  
Grandma's Southern Cream Cookies
adapted from: Grandma Parker

1 c. shortening
2 c. sugar
3 eggs
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. baking soda
3 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. cinnamon, opt.
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 c. sour cream
5 c. all-purpose flour
1 1/2 c. chopped walnuts, opt.

Topping:
6 Tbl. sugar
2 tsp. cinnamon

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Cream together shortening and sugar until very light and fluffy.  Add the eggs and beat well.  Add the salt, baking soda, baking powder, 1 teaspoon cinnamon and vanilla and beat well.  Mix in the sour cream until well incorporated.  Last, gradually add the flour and nuts and beat until fully incorporated.  Combine the 6 Tablespoons of sugar and 2 teaspoons of cinnamon in a small dish.  Roll about 1 Tablespoon of dough into a ball and toss in the cinnamon and sugar mixture until fully coated.  Add to a lightly greased baking sheet and flatten slightly using the palm of your hand.  Repeat.  Bake for 11-12 minutes.  Yield: around 5 1/2 - 6 dozen cookies. 

Jenn's Notes: You can use butter-flavored shortening instead of regular if you want the butter flavor that snickerdoodles usually have.  I typed the recipe above with my recommended baking time if using 1 Tablespoon of dough.    

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

that give mcdonalds coupons and 
breakfast coupons you also can find recipe from