Monday, February 6, 2012

Super Easy Microwave Caramels - The Real Deal!

These caramels are the real thing!  They are not too good to be true!  Homemade caramel is not just for the holidays anymore.  

They are made in the microwave!

They are done in 6 minutes!

No thermometer is needed!

They are rich and creamy and melt in your mouth!

I was so skeptical about this recipe and I thought there was no way possible that these would work, but THEY DID!  I was shocked at how easy they were to make and how delicious they tasted.  You no longer have to be scared about making homemade caramel thanks to this recipe. 

I can't wait to try homemade turtles, caramel pretzels, caramel brownies and so on and so on.  I will never buy store-bought caramels ever again.   
Super Easy Microwave Caramels
5 Tbl. butter
1/2 c. light corn syrup
1/2 c. sugar
1/2 c. packed light brown sugar
4 oz. sweetened condensed milk (about 1/4 c. + 2 Tbl.)
*It has been suggested to me to use 1/2 cup of sweetened condensed milk, which is 2 Tablespoons more than I have used.  I am going to try that next time I make these, but until then, you will have to decide which measurement you use.*

**Note: I have learned that the wattage of your microwave will greatly effect the outcome of these caramels.  I used a 950 watt microwave and cooked for 6 minutes and ended up with amazing soft caramels.  If you have a higher wattage microwave, you will want to cook less or you will end up with hard caramels.  Or if you have a lower wattage microwave, you will want to cook a little longer. **

Instructions:
Put all ingredients in a large, microwave safe, bowl.  Microwave for 6 minutes, stirring every 2 minutes.  Spray an 8''x8'' dish with cooking spray and pour mixture in.  Let cool and cut.  Wrap in wax paper.  

Jenn's Notes: Seriously AMAZING!  Since cans of sweetened condensed milk only come in 14 oz., I measured 4 oz. using my kitchen scale and it ended up being about 1/4 cup plus 2 Tablespoons.  I poured my caramel into an 8''x6'' dish and we ate one row out of it the first night, then when I woke up the next day, it was completely filled in again, like I didn't even eat any.  So, eventually it will spread (it takes quite awhile for this to happen).  If you individually wrap them and are planning on taking them somewhere, I would keep them in the fridge and bring to room temperature just before serving.  They will hold their shape for several hours, before they start to flatten.    

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

that give mcdonalds coupons and 
breakfast coupons you also can find recipe from