Thursday, October 27, 2011

Stuffed French Bread

This recipe is easy peasy and it's one that can feed your whole family!  I got this recipe from one of my mom's church cookbooks, which are some of the best cookbooks, in my opinion, because the recipes are tried and true!  I've made this one a few times, but hadn't made it lately, because it is hard for only two people to eat an entire stuffed french bread, but I got an idea the other day.  
Remember this homemade french bread?  Why not make a half of a batch and make mini french breads?  Genius idea.  I was planning to make two mini loaves, one for each of us, which is what I did, but they raised a lot more than I thought they would, so I still ended up having leftover.  Next time, I will only make one mini loaf for both of us to share and save the other loaf for some yummy chili or lasagna or something!      
Stuffed French Bread
adapted from: Shauna B.

1 loaf french bread (store-bought or homemade)
1 Lb. lean ground beef
2 Tbl. chopped onion
1/2 c. chopped celery and
    any other vegetables you like
minced garlic
salt and pepper
1 can cream of mushroom soup
a little milk, if needed
1-2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
1-2 c. grated cheese
chopped parsley, for garnish, opt.

Slice of very top of french bread; set aside.  Scoop out the bread in the center of loaf and crumble; place in a bowl with the shredded cheese.  Brown ground beef in medium skillet.  Add onion, celery and any other veggies you want.  Saute a few minutes until tender.  Add garlic and cook 30 more seconds.  Add soup and Worcestershire.  Season with salt and pepper.  If mixture is too thick for your liking, add a splash or two of milk.  Add hamburger mixture to crumbed bread and cheese.  Stir to combine.  Pour into center of french bread loaf.  Place top back on bread and place on a cookie sheet.  Bake at 350 degrees for 10-15 minutes.  Slice and serve.  

Jenn's Notes:  I think this tastes great with both store-bought french bread and homemade!  I cut this recipe in half and I only added celery and didn't add any other veggies, but I think it would be delicious with a green bell pepper or some carrots!  Once it is baked it becomes nice and crispy!  I like to serve it sliced and eat it like a sandwich.  The end is my favorite part, because it is extra crispy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

that give mcdonalds coupons and 
breakfast coupons you also can find recipe from