Monday, October 10, 2011

Paula Deen's Pumpkin Cake with Cinnamon Buttercream

This is the BEST, from scratch, pumpkin cake that I have ever had!  I knew it would be delicious as soon as I saw the picture in my Paula Deen Holiday Magazine.  I am seriously so impressed with this cake.  I made it last Thursday and it still tastes delicious today (Monday).  I hate it when I try a new cake recipe and it tastes great the first night, but it just keeps getting more dry as the days go by.  That is not the case with this cake.  It is still as moist as ever!  The texture and the moistness reminds me of a carrot cake.  I loved this cake and it most likely will be making an appearance at my dinner table this Thanksgiving!  I made a three layer mini cake, some regular cupcakes and these skeleton cupcakes out of this cake recipe and they were all amazing! 
Pumpkin Cake with Cinnamon Buttercream
adapted from: Paula Deen

1 c. butter, softened
1 c. sugar
1 c. firmly packed light brown sugar
4 large eggs
1 (15 oz.) can pumpkin
3 c. all-purpose flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
3/4 c. milk
Cinnamon Buttercream (recipe follows)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Grease and flour 3 (9-inch) cake pans; set aside.  In a large bowl, beat butter and sugars at medium speed with a mixer until fluffy.  Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.  Beat in pumpkin.  In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda and salt.  Gradually add to butter mixture alternately with milk, beginning and ending with flour mixture, beating just until combined after each addition.  Divide batter evenly between prepared pans.  Bake for 18-22 minutes (my baking time was way different - see my notes below) or until a wooden toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.  Cool in pans on wire rack for 10 minutes.  Remove from pans and cool completely on wire rack.  Spread frosting between cake layers and then frost the top and sides of the cake.  

Cinnamon Buttercream Frosting:
1 c. butter, softened
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
pinch of salt
5 c. powdered sugar
1/4 - 1/2 c. heavy whipping cream

In a large bowl, beat butter, cinnamon and salt at medium speed with a mixer until creamy.  Gradually add powdered sugar, beating until smooth.  Add cream and beat until reaches desired consistency.

Jenn's Notes: I made the entire batch and I got 11 regular cupcakes and a small 3 layer cake.  My cupcakes baked for 19-20 minutes and my cake took about 35 minutes.  Don't be alarmed if your batter looks separated after you add the pumpkin puree, it comes back together when you add the dry ingredients.  I used french vanilla coffee creamer instead of the whipping cream in the frosting.  The cinnamon buttercream compliments this cake perfectly.  Loved everything about it!            

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

that give mcdonalds coupons and 
breakfast coupons you also can find recipe from