Sunday, August 21, 2011

Homemade Snickers Bars

I was going to post a main dish for you today, but these are so stinkin good, I decided to share them with you instead.  I found this recipe the other day, along with a recipe for homemade Twix and homemade Butterfinger's, but the Snickers recipe was the first one I wanted to try (the rest will come shortly), since they are my favorite candy bar!  

Honestly, when I found this recipe, I was already convinced that they would not taste like a real Snickers, because of the butterscotch chips and the peanut butter and I had already planned on calling these "Almost Snickers" or "Snickers Type Candy Bars", but last night after they were set up, I cut a little piece, took a bite and said "OMG - these really do taste like a Snickers."  Yes, I was a little surprised.  I always knew they would be delicious, but I had no idea they would really taste so close to the real deal.  


These are DELICIOUS!  Creamy chocolate, with chewy nougat, chewy caramel and a slight saltiness with a crunch from the peanuts.  
Homemade Snickers Bars
1st layer:
1 c. milk chocolate chips
1/4 c. butterscotch chips
1/4 c. creamy peanut butter

Melt together all ingredients in the microwave, stirring every 30 seconds until melted.  Spread into a lightly greased 9x13 inch glass pan.  Put in fridge to cool.

Filling:
1/4 c. butter
1 c. sugar
1/4 c. evaporated milk
1 1/2 c. marshmallow cream
1/4 c. creamy peanut butter
1 tsp. vanilla
1 1/2 c. salted peanuts, chopped

Melt butter in saucepan over medium heat, add sugar and milk, stirring constantly to dissolve the sugar.  Bring to a boil and stir for 5 minutes (I only did 3 min.).  Mixture will start to follow your spoon. Remove from stove and stir in marshmallow cream, peanut butter and vanilla.  Mix until smooth.  Spread over first layer and sprinkle peanuts over top.

Caramel Layer:
1 (14 oz.) bag Kraft caramels
1/4 c. whipping cream (I used evaporated milk)

Unwrap and melt the caramels with the cream in the microwave, stirring every 30 seconds until melted. Carefully spread over filling layer.  

Top Layer:
1 c. milk chocolate chips
1/4 c. butterscotch chips
1/4 c. peanut butter

Melt together in microwave, stirring every 30 seconds until melted.  Spread evenly over caramel layer.  Store in the refrigerator until cooled and hardened.  Cut into small bars. Keep refrigerated.    

Jenn's Notes: This is very easy to make, it just takes a little time to prepare each layer.  I cut this in half and layered it in an 8x6 inch glass dish.  I had to make the nougat/filling recipe twice, because the first time I cooked it the entire 5 minutes like the recipe suggested, but it ended up being too hard and crumbly.  I tried again, but this time only cooked about 3 minutes and it was perfect.  When it slightly thickens and starts to move around with your spoon while you stir it, I would quit cooking.  Remember, it will be thicker when you add the mallow cream and peanut butter.  I also used evaporated milk instead of the whipping cream in the caramel, because I didn't want to spend money on a carton of cream to only use a small amount and I already had a can of evaporated milk open for the filling.  I added slightly less than the recipe called for, so it would still be as thick.  I like these right out of the fridge.  I think they taste most like a Snickers when they are cold and chewy!  When they get to room temperature, the chocolate gets pretty soft and melts all over your fingers (I don't know if that is a bad thing)?  You will LOVE them!      

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

that give mcdonalds coupons and 
breakfast coupons you also can find recipe from