Sunday, May 8, 2011

Soft Cookies with Pink Icing

Here is another yummy recipe from this cookbook!  The real name of these cookies is Grandma McNaughton's Soft Cookies, but I didn't want to confuse people into thinking I have a Grandma McNaughton, because I don't, but I bet she was great!  The person (Bethany Sinks) that supplied this recipe for the cookbook, says that her grandma was famous for this recipe.  She also said you have to use a round cookie cutter and pink icing in order for them to be grandma's!  So, that is what I did. 

I whipped up a half a batch of these cookies, cut them with my round cutter and waited for them to bake.  Meanwhile, I made the frosting.  I decided to make a little more than the recipe suggested, because I like to pile on the frosting.  So, if you are not a frosting addict like me, you can scale back the ingredients a bit.  I could hardly wait to try them. . .

. . . I really really liked these cookies.  They reminded me of an extremely soft sugar cookie.  They honestly melt-in-your-mouth!  The only thing I would change next time is to use regular shortening instead of butter flavored, because the butter flavor stood out a little too much and I think the regular would be just perfect!  I also added a little almond extract to half of the frosting and oh it was soooooooo yummy!  I made half of a batch and used a medium-sized cookie cutter and ended up with about 18 cookies.  Make sure to leave plenty of room between the cookies, because when they bake, they spread out quite a bit.  Give these a try, because I know you will love them!  


**Update - I wanted to let you all know that I am still eating these cookies 5 days later and they are still very yummy.  I think they might even get better as the days go bye!  These have become one of my new favorites!  
Grandma McNaughton's Soft Cookies
adapted from: this cookbook
(Printable Recipe)
1 c. shortening
2 c. sugar
3 eggs
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 c. buttermilk
1 tsp. baking soda
5 c. all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1/2 tsp. salt
2 tsp. baking powder


Pink Icing:
1 c. butter, softened
5 1/2 c. powdered sugar
evaporated milk, as needed
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 tsp. almond extract, opt.
a few drops of red food coloring  


In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar; add eggs and vanilla.  In a small bowl, combine buttermilk and baking soda.  Stir in half the buttermilk mixture.  Combine flour, nutmeg, salt and baking powder.  Stir in dry ingredients alternately with buttermilk mixture.  Dough will be tender.  With a rolling pin, roll dough to 1/2-inch thick, using generous amounts of flour.  Cut out cookies with a round cookie cutter.  Bake on a greased cookie sheet.  Bake for 10 minutes (I baked mine 12 minutes and they were super soft) at 350 degrees.  Do Not Overbake.  The cookies should be soft.  Cool completely and spread with pink icing.


For the icing:  Beat butter until fluffy.  Add one cup of powdered sugar at a time and beat until light and fluffy, adding evaporated milk as needed for desired consistency.  Add vanilla extract, almond extract and red food coloring.  Beat until evenly distributed.  Spread over cooled cookies.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

that give mcdonalds coupons and 
breakfast coupons you also can find recipe from