Thursday, May 5, 2011

Southwest Egg Rolls and Avocado Dip

So, I got another new cookbook!  I will admit, I have an obsession.  I should really avoid stores that carry cookbooks, but I can't help it when I go to Costco and they have such good deals.  The last time I went, they had so many that I wanted and I settled on this one.  It was that darn picture of the two-layered red-velvet cake that made me cave.  It will get you every time!

These Egg Rolls are the second recipe that I have tried out of the book.  So far, I like two out of two.  You all should know that I am a huge fan of Mexican Food and I love anything with cilantro in it!  I loved every single thing about these egg rolls.  Delicious!  I found the egg roll wrappers in the refrigerated produce section at my grocery store.  There is a picture on the back that explains how to roll up an egg-roll properly.  So, follow those directions and these are soooo easy to put together and you can whip them up in no time.  Make sure you serve them with the avocado dip, because it is incredible and pairs perfectly with the flavors in the egg rolls.  I will be making these again and again.
Southwest Egg Rolls and Avocado Dip

2 1/2 c. chicken, cooked and shredded
1 1/2 c. Mexican cheese blend, shredded
2/3 c. canned corn, drained
2/3 c. black beans, rinsed and drained
5 green onions, chopped
1/4 c. fresh cilantro, chopped
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. ground cumin
1 tsp. lime zest, grated
pinch of cayenne pepper
18-20 egg roll wrappers
vegetable oil for frying

Avocado Dip
1 c. ranch salad dressing
1 medium ripe Hass avocado, peeled and mashed
1-2 Tbl. fresh cilantro, chopped
fresh lime juice
salt and pepper

In a large bowl, combine the first 10 ingredients.  Place 1/4 cup chicken mixture in the center of one egg roll wrapper.  Roll up as per directions on the back of the package (Place egg roll wrapper in a diagonal, so it looks like a diamond.  Place filling down the center and fold up bottom point, then fold in the sides.  Moisten top point with water and and roll up tightly).  Repeat.  In a large skillet, heat about 1/2-inch oil over medium heat.  Fry egg rolls, a few at at time, for 2 minutes on each side or until golden brown.  Drain on paper towels; season with salt.  Meanwhile, combine dressing, mashed avocado, 1-2 Tbl. cilantro, lime juice, salt and pepper.  Serve with egg rolls.  Makes 18-20 egg rolls.    

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

that give mcdonalds coupons and 
breakfast coupons you also can find recipe from