Saturday, April 26, 2014

THE BEST BLUEBERRY MUFFINS

I first posted this muffin recipe over three years ago.  It was long overdue for some updated pics and a re-share incase you all missed it the first time.

Here is the original post:  

YOU HAVE TO TRY THESE MUFFINS . . . . I LOVE THEM! 

 I was watching an episode of America's Test Kitchen the other day and they were making these blueberry muffins.  Great, just another blueberry muffin I thought.  I was just about to turn the channel, when I heard it  . . . music to my ears. . . . they were using fresh blueberries and turning them into smooth jam.  If you know me, then you probably know that I have a big problem with fruit.  I LOVE the flavor, but it's the texture that I struggle with.  I can eat fresh pineapple, fresh strawberries, fresh apples, sometimes grapes and a few other fresh fruits.  Other than that, whether fresh or cooked, I can't stand to bite into it.  It sends shivers down my spine just thinking about it.   
I love blueberry muffins, but I always pick out the chunky berries.  Now, I can eat a muffin, which I love and have all that delicious blueberry flavor without chunky berries.  (The recipe actually adds fresh blueberries in addition to the jam, but I left them out).  

These muffins have the perfect texture, not too cakey and not too heavy.  The blueberry flavor is just right and the sugar topping adds just enough lemon flavor to know it's there, but not to overpower the blueberry flavor.   

These are best eaten on day one or two.  I keep them in the muffin tin overnight and loosely cover them with a clean kitchen towel.  I have tried storing them in a zip-top bag before, but the tops get sticky and I am not a fan of sticky top muffins.
THE BEST BLUEBERRY MUFFINS
adapted from: America's Test Kitchen

Topping:
1/4 c. sugar
1 1/2 tsp. grated lemon zest

Muffins:
2 c. fresh blueberries, picked over
1 1/8 c. + 1 tsp. sugar
2 1/2 c. all-purpose flour
2 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
2 large eggs
4 Tbl. unsalted butter, melted & cooled slightly
1/4 c. vegetable oil
1 c. buttermilk
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla

1.  For the topping: Stir the sugar and lemon zest together in a small bowl until combined; set aside.  

2.  For the muffins: Preheat oven to 425 degrees.  Spray a standard muffin tin with vegetable oil spray (or line with paper liners and spray).  Bring 1 cup of the blueberries and 1 tsp. of the sugar to a simmer in a small saucepan over medium heat.  Cook, mashing the berries with a spoon several times and stirring frequently, until the berries have broken down and the mixture is thickened about 6 minutes.  Transfer to a small bowl and cool to room temperature, 10-15 minutes.  

3.  Whisk the flour, baking powder and salt together in a large bowl.  Whisk the remaining 1 1/8 cups sugar and eggs together in a medium bowl until thick and homogeneous, about 45 seconds.  Slowly whisk in the butter and oil until combined.  Whisk in the buttermilk and vanilla until combined.  Using a rubber spatula, fold the egg mixture and the remaining 1 cup blueberries into the flour mixture until just moistened (if adding whole blueberries - I don't add them).  The batter will be very lumpy with a few spots of dry flour; do not overmix.  

4.  Fill muffin cups 1/2 full with batter and top with a teaspoon or so of the cooked berry mixture.  Use a toothpick and swirl together.  Divide the remaining batter between muffin cups.  The batter should completely fill the cups and mound slightly.  Divide the remaining cooked berry mixture between muffin cups.  Use a toothpick and gently swirl the berry filling into the batter using a figure-eight motion.  Sprinkle the lemon sugar evenly over the muffins.  

5.  Bake until the muffin tops are golden and just firm, 17-18 minutes, rotating the muffin tin halfway through.  Cool the muffins in the muffin tin for 5 minutes, then remove to a wire rack and cool 5 more minutes before serving.  Yield: 12 muffins.        

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

that give mcdonalds coupons and 
breakfast coupons you also can find recipe from