Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Magnolia Bakery Famous Banana Pudding

Magnolia Bakery is a bakery that I have always dreamed of going to.  I have one of their cookbooks and I have made many treats out of it, but I always wondered if the recipes really are the same as the treats they serve in the bakery.

A few months ago I was on vacation in L.A. and discovered there is a Magnolia's down there.

Getting there was quite the adventure.

I don't know how anyone does it in California.  GPS would have to be a must in your car.  Just getting from San Diego to L.A., I counted 7 different freeways we had to merge onto and that drive was less than 2 hours.  Oh and don't accidentally get off the wrong exit, because you can't just flip around and get right back on it.  You will find yourself taking a very very long detour . . . not speaking from experience or anything :)

I have realized it is a piece of cake driving here in Utah and the traffic here is nothing.

Anyway, Magnolia's was so cute inside.  It was late when we got there and a lot of things were sold out, but I did leave with half a dozen cupcakes and of course I tried their Banana Pudding.

Their Banana Pudding is one of the things they are famous for.
It was delicious and the employee told me it really is the recipe in the cookbook.

So, I made it when I got home from vacation.  It is so light and fluffy and feels like a cloud of amazingness in your mouth.  It is sweet and the bananas and Nilla Wafers make it extra special.

I could have eaten the entire batch by myself.
Magnolia Bakery Famous Banana Pudding
1 (14 oz.) can sweetened condensed milk     
1 1/2 c. ice cold water
1 (3.4 oz.) box vanilla instant pudding mix
3 c. heavy cream
1 tsp. vanilla extract
4 c. sliced bananas
1 (12 oz.) box Nilla Wafers

In a large bowl, beat together the sweetened condensed milk and water until well combined.  Add the pudding mix and beat well.  Cover and refrigerate for 3-4 hours or overnight.  It is very important to allow the proper amount of time for the pudding mixture to set.

In a large bowl, whip the cream and vanilla until stiff peaks form.  Gently fold the whipped cream into the pudding mixture until no streaks of pudding remain.  

Serve with sliced bananas and crushed Nilla wafers.  Serves: 8-10 

To serve this like Magnolia Bakery: Make three layers of Nilla Wafers, sliced bananas and pudding in a 4-5 quart capacity glass bowl.  Cover tightly and refrigerate for 4 hours up to 8 hours, but no longer.   

Jenn's Notes: Magnolia's recipe does not add vanilla extract.  I prefer to serve this as individual servings and I add the sliced bananas just before I eat it, so they don't turn brown.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

that give mcdonalds coupons and 
breakfast coupons you also can find recipe from