Saturday, July 28, 2012

Cheesy Zucchini Rice

Have you guys been seeing this recipe all over Pinterest?  Who am I kidding - of course you have! Doesn't it sound yummy?  Well . . . zucchini season has officially started and I am ready for it.  Bring it on!  I have a long list of recipes to try!  So, consider yourself forewarned!  

This rice was great!  I couldn't actually taste the zucchini and if it wasn't for the green color, I probably wouldn't even have known it was in there.  Even though I couldn't taste it, just knowing it was in there made me feel good, since I was eating my serving of vegetables for the day!  I will definitely be making this one again.  

Cheesy Zucchini Rice
adapted from: Buns In My Oven
(Printable Recipe)

1 Tbl. extra virgin olive oil
1 c. long-grain rice
2 c. low-sodium chicken broth
2 Tbl. butter, opt.
1 med. or 2 sm. zucchini, grated (I added around 1 - 1 1/2 cups)
1 c. shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
1/2 tsp. garlic powder, opt. 
salt and pepper
splash of milk, as needed (I added 2-3 Tbl.)

Heat olive oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat.  Add the rice and stir to coat.  Toast the rice, stirring often, until golden.  Add the chicken broth and bring to a boil.  Turn heat to low and cover.  Cook 15-20 minutes or until liquid is mostly absorbed.  Stir in the butter, grated zucchini, shredded cheese and garlic powder.  Cover and let sit 5 more minutes.  Taste and add salt and pepper, to taste and add a little milk if you would like it creamier.  Serves: 4    

Jenn's Notes: I forgot to add the butter and garlic powder and it still tasted yummy.  I used Medium Cheddar and my rice only had a slight cheesy flavor.  I chose not to peel my zucchini, but if you want it to be a little more hidden, you could peel yours.   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

that give mcdonalds coupons and 
breakfast coupons you also can find recipe from