Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Slow Cooker Honey Sesame Chicken

I have to say . . . this sounded like the strangest recipe to me, but I kept seeing it all over blog land.  How could ketchup, soy sauce and honey be good together?  I decided to read through the comments and shockingly everyone seemed to love this.  Comment after comment said I tried this and loved it, it's a new family favorite, it will be a weekly menu item and so on and so on.  Okay, either everyone is crazy or this must be really good.  I decided to go with everyone is crazy! Ha ha.  

I gave it a try.  

This stuff is DELICIOUS!  

It reminded me of the rice bowls from Teriyaki Bowl and Rumbi!  It was so EASY and I think kids will love it, as well as adults.  Like everyone else already said, this will become a frequent menu item.  
Honey Sesame Chicken
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
pepper
1 cup honey
1/2 c. soy sauce
1/2 c. diced onion
1/4 c. ketchup
2 Tbl. vegetable oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes
4 tsp. cornstarch dissolved in 6 Tbl. water
sesame seeds

Season both sides of chicken with a little pepper.  Put in crock pot.  In a small bowl combine honey, soy sauce, onion, ketchup, oil, garlic and red pepper flakes.  Pour over chicken.  Cook on low 3-4 hours or on high 1 1/2 - 2 1/2 hours or until chicken is cooked through.  Remove chicken from crockpot, leave sauce.  Add cornstarch mixture; stir to combine.  Replace lid and cook sauce on high for 10 more minutes or until slightly thickened.  Cut chicken into bite size pieces and then return to pot and toss with sauce before serving.  Serve over rice or noodles and sprinkle with sesame seeds.  Serves 4 - 5  

Jenn's Notes: I cut the recipe in half and cooked it in the oven.  I used dried onion flakes and I used a small pinch of cayenne instead of red pepper flakes.  Once my chicken was baked, I removed it from the pan and cooked the sauce over medium heat until it was thickened.  Instead of adding the chicken back into the sauce, I tossed a little over each dish, because it made quite a bit of sauce and I didn't want it to drown my chicken!  I served with steamed broccoli, but I actually preferred the broccoli on the side.  I really am a big fan of this dish - I thought it was so yummy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

that give mcdonalds coupons and 
breakfast coupons you also can find recipe from