Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Banana Cream Pie Cupcakes


What is your favorite season?  Random question, I know.  I would have to say mine is Fall and I have to admit that I got a little "Fall sick" today (It only lasted for about 30 seconds, then I was over it), but I was looking through my candles, trying to decide what scent I wanted to use today and I saw all my Fall time scents - vanilla acorn, pumpkin pie, baked apple pie, spiced orange harvest, etc . . .  

Fall is such a cozy time of year.  I love anything and everything pumpkin - muffins, cookies, scones, cornbread, etc . . . , I love soups and chilis and I love when the weather is starting to get cool enough for a jacket or when it's cold enough to curl up on the couch with a blanket.  Don't get me wrong, I sure do love having a nice suntan in the Summertime and I love wearing my flip flops everywhere I go, but there is just something about the Fall time?  I might just have to give in and make something with pumpkin.  
Anyway, Banana Cream Pie is my all time favorite pie - no questions asked and Cake with frosting is my all time favorite dessert.  Combine the two together and it is a match made in heaven!  These cupcakes are delicious.  The cupcake has the perfect balanced banana flavor with a yummy banana pudding filling and the frosting is light and creamy and very vanilla-y and almost tastes like vanilla ice cream!  These would be a huge hit with any banana fan! 
Banana Cream Pie Cupcakes
adapted from: Landee See Landee Do

2 1/2 c. all-purpose flour
1 Tbl. baking soda
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/8 tsp. salt
1/2 c. unsalted butter, softened
1 c. sugar
3/4 c. light brown sugar
2 large eggs
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 c. mashed ripe bananas
2/3 c. plain yogurt or sour cream
crushed graham crackers, for garnish
banana slices or banana chips, for garnish

Banana Filling:
1 pkg. instant banana pudding
2 c. milk
1 tsp. vanilla extract

 -Combine all ingredients until smooth.  Refrigerate at least 30 minutes before using.  

Vanilla Frosting:
1 pkg. instant vanilla pudding
1 c. milk
1 tsp. vanilla extract
8 oz. whipped topping or real whipped cream
1/4 c. powdered sugar

-Mix vanilla pudding with milk and vanilla.  Whisk in the powdered sugar.  Fold in the cream until no streaks remain.  Refrigerate at least 30 minutes before using.


For Cupcakes: Pre-make filling and frosting.  They both need to be refrigerated for at least 30 minutes.  Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  Whisk together flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt; set aside.  In mixer, cream butter with sugars until light.  Add eggs, one at a time, then vanilla.  Add flour mixture alternating with mashed bananas and yogurt or sour cream.  Mix on low until just moistened.  Batter may be lumpy - do not over mix.  Bake 17-20 minutes.  Remove to rack and cool completely.  When cool, take a paring knife and cut a small circle out of the top middle of each cupcake.  Fill with banana filling.  Top with vanilla frosting.  Garnish with crushed graham crackers and bananas, if desired.  Keep refrigerated.  Yield: 24-28 cupcakes.

Jenn's Notes: I am still eating these cupcakes (3 days later) and they are still amazing, if not, even better?  I really really like them.  I cut the cupcake recipe in half and got 13 cupcakes.  I made the entire frosting recipe and had just enough to pipe onto each cupcake.  The frosting pipes beautifully after it has been refrigerated (I even used Light Cool Whip).  So, if you are going to pipe a pretty swirl on each cupcake, you will probably want to double the frosting recipe.  Mine were done at 17 minutes.  They got very dark brown, but they do not taste burned, but be careful not to overbake! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

that give mcdonalds coupons and 
breakfast coupons you also can find recipe from